Tuesday 31 July 2012

BOWIE + CHEWIE


I'm at Alternative Press Fair this coming weekend with BZF! I'm not planning on another actual book or comic until later this year so I decided to do some smaller fun projects that don't involve my characters and I thought it would be a good idea to make them in time to sell at the show- so here they are! They will also be available in my online shop this week (keep an eye out on my twitter for update on this)




BOWIE: A CELEBRATION Inspired by the BBC Bowie tribute night a few weeks ago I thought it would be fun to collect a bunch of artwork from comic artists and illustrators who I know have already drawn David Bowie and to make a sort of fanzine type book. So here it is! It collects the work of 15 artists, writers and illustrators covering all the incarnations of David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Labyrinth and more. A must for all Bowie fans! Here is the list of contributors involved:

Joe List, Philippa Rice, Sara Jackson, Johnny Lyon, Darren Whitcombe, Ian Larsen, Liz Popolo, Zarina Liew, Joe Decie, Bryony Matthewman, Lara Crow, Jess Fink, Madeleine Flores, Timothy Winchester and me.

It will be available as a print zine for £3 or a pdf for only £1! Printed on nice paper this is an A5 12 page multi colour glitter glam-o-rama fanzine.

I might do others of my favourite bands/musicians in the future. I'd like to do a Weezer zine, maybe a Beatles one, Moldy Peaches, Kate Bush, Simon and Garfunkel perhaps... anyway, this might be the first in a series hopefully (if anyone is interested in being involved in any of these in the future get in touch)

CHEWIE: A COLLECTION Another series I am starting is "collection" zines. I wanted to start making some sort of record of my collections. Collections are a typical topic for zine artists, for example you may have already enjoyed the zines of Mark Pawson (who will also be at APF this weekend) he recently did a Noggins collection book. Partly inspired by this I thought I'd start with my collection of Chewbacca figures. I have been collecting these wookies for over 15 years so here is a zine showcasing my collection so far (photo above just shows a few) I'm probably going to make more collection zines in the future too, featuring my other stupid collections of stuff and maybe some collections by my friends too.

Available as a 20 page A6 photocopied b&w zine for £2!

See you at Alternative Press Fair this weekend!

If you hate David Bowie and Chewbacca and you're after comics don't forget my ONE A DAY comics for August starts tomorrow....

6 comments:

Laura said...

The zine looks grand! Just wondered if you could advise me on where is good for getting zines printed, do you use a website for it? Trying to get some travel zines done and researching places that arent too expensive.

PS if you need contributions to a weezer zine let me know!

Traveller28 said...

This is superb! Have you got this one?? :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trav28/5934695804/

Put me down for a copy, when are you in brumland next?? :)

Lizz said...

Ah! That one is on my wish list! I'm in Birmingham now, next show here will be BZF October 13th. These zines are in my online shop now too!

Lizz said...

Laura- I use a local printer but for small print runs (less than 200 copies) I think an online printer is best. Inky Little Fingers has been recommended to me but I've never used them.

Traveller28 said...

Aha! I may have to visit the zine fest...can you same me a copy and I can paypal some dosh to you?

Lizz said...

You can purchase here http://www.lizzlizz.com/shop.php free sticker and postcards with every order! :o)

You should totally come to zine fest!